Your landscaping makes a huge difference in your home’s curb appeal, as well as your enjoyment of the space. A lot of homeowners are tempted to DIY their landscaping in Los Angeles, CA, but there are often more cons than pros to that approach. Working with a landscape architect can maximize the beauty and potential in your yard—plus, they’ll help you make it sustainable and easy to maintain.
DIY landscaping tips are no substitute for working with landscape architects in Los Angeles, CA
Landscaping isn’t just a matter of planting some trees and shrubs that grow well in your climate zone. It’s a delicate balance between maintenance, budget, location and water flow. If you try to do it yourself, you might find that you cause more problems than you solve:
- Climate makes a huge difference: You might be a master gardener and already understand what kind of plants grow well in your climate—but if you’re not, you might find yourself wasting a lot of time and money on plant life that’s ultimately going to be unsustainable. Depending on where you live, the quality of sunlight your yard receives throughout the day and what your goals are, the plants you choose might be very different from what actually has a chance of thriving.
- You can damage your home’s foundation: Landscaping isn’t just about plants. There’s a significant amount of consideration given to the structure of your home, and how water runoff can affect the yard. Inexperienced DIY landscapers might not realize how badly they can damage their foundation if they don’t plan for water flow. Similarly, if you plan to install a pergola or patio. you’ll need to take the foundation and structure into consideration. Working with a professional guarantees the appropriate care will be taken to protect your foundation from these issues.
- You need to be familiar with building codes: Depending on your home and yard features, you’ll need to be familiar with your local building codes. Landscaping can affect your HVAC system, swimming pool, ponds and more. If improperly done, you could find yourself with costly damage that could take months to fix. Worse, if an inspector finds your home isn’t up to code, you’ll have to remove the improvements and start over. It’s much easier—and less expensive—to work with a landscape architect from the get-go.
- DIY probably won’t increase value: If you want your home to increase in value, working with a pro is the way to go. DIY landscaping might end up looking nice, but you’ll get a greater return from professional landscaping.
- DIY will take longer: Finally, DIY landscaping might save you some money (if you’re lucky enough to avoid major issues), but it certainly won’t save you time. Professional landscapers have years of experience—not to mention the tools—that enable them to get a job done efficiently.
For professional landscaping, call RainforestLA, Inc. We have over 20 years of experience transforming yards around the Los Angeles area. Find out what we can do to help you avoid the cons of DIY landscaping!