All too often, homeowners in Los Angeles question if all the hard work they are putting in the task of landscaping will do them some good in the long run, apart from making the house look beautiful. The answer is yes.
Landscaping on your property can add tens of thousands of dollars to the value of your home! If truth be told, it is one of the few home improvements you can make that not only adds value right away, but this value also keeps increasing as the years go by; while interior decor and design ideas regularly change and mechanical systems wear out, plants grow fuller and more robust as the years pass by, if maintained appropriately and frequently.
Here is why:
- Landscaping increases curb appeal and persuades buyers to look into the inside of your home.
- It helps your house stand out among the others in your neighborhood. Who can miss a massive shrub or flowery garden?
- Landscaping adds more functionality to your backyard; which translates to fewer renovations for buyers to make.
Good landscaping can add up to 27% to overall home value, according to landscape economists. They conclude that even taking your landscaping from “good” to “excellent,” in terms of design, condition, and placement, can add 6% to 7% to your home’s value! Well, then what’s stopping you? Make sure to incorporate the following factors when planning and/or designing your landscape so that it may produce fruitful results! (Figuratively and literally).
- Trees: Trees are gifts from Mother Nature to keep your house warm in winters and cool in summers. Trees also add value to your home. Obviously, to add value, the trees must be healthy, mature but not elderly, native to the area and appropriate to the neighborhood.
- Outdoor Lighting: Outdoor lighting consistently tops the list of most wanted outdoor features in “What Home Buyers Really Want” surveys: 42% rate it “essential;” 48% say it is “desirable.” Not only does it make your home feel homier, tasteful lighting paints your home at night, highlighting your other great landscaping picks and directing guests to your front door. Additionally, Outdoor Lighting makes a property a trickier target for intruders. That added security can reduce burglaries, and thus claims. Some insurance companies offer 5% to 15% discounts to homeowners with reduced or zero claims.
- Variety: Make sure your lawn or garden isn’t monotonous. Include different colors and styles, keeping in mind still that harmony must be maintained so that it is pleasant to look at.
Moreover, hardscaping can also make or break your home’s curb appeal. Many questions may pop in your head when you want to rock your Hardscaping in Los Angeles… Do we need a fire pit? Is an outdoor kitchen a good idea? Well, a space outside the home is only as good as you want it to be. The key is to think outside the box and letting your imagination transfer to your designer. Fire pits, create gathering and social interaction, Kitchens create a feeling and bring the evening together for entertaining and the space itself. So decide wisely because hardscaping can be overwhelming, both financially and mentally! But when done right, hardscaping is an investment you won’t regret making.